Kappa Kastle | 1846 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles 90019
PHONE: 424.235.0874 | EMAIL: email@example.com
- Leadership Development
- Community Service
- College Preparation
- Academic Support
- College Tours
- Field Trips
- Step Team
ABOUT KAPPA LEAGUE
The Kappa Leadership & Development League is a program designed to aid young men of high school age to grow and develop their leadership talents in every phase of human endeavor. Kappa League provides both challenging and rewarding experiences to enhance their lives. Since the fundamental purpose of Kappa Alpha Psi is ACHIEVEMENT, it is therefore the Fraternity's primary purpose to help these young men achieve worthy goals for themselves, and make constructive contributions to their community when they assume leadership roles.
History of Kappa League
Kappa League was founded on Thursday, February 12, 1969, by the Los Angeles Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., at Alain LeRoy Locke High School. It was created by Mel Davis and Edgar H. Bishop. The program was later adopted as a national program by the Grand Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. held on August 12-15, 1970.
The Kappa Instructional Leadership League, as it was called, was designed to help young men grow, receive, and develop their leadership talents in every phase of human endeavor. It provided both challenging and rewarding experiences, which richly enhanced their lives. Membership was open to male students from the tenth through the twelfth grades. The fraternity sought to help these young men to achieve worthy goals for themselves and make constructive contributions to their community when leadership roles become the responsibility.
Basic objectives of the Kappa Leadership Development League:
• To help youth, especially those of high school graduating classes, in their selection of courses leading to vocations compatible with their aptitudes and personalities.
• To assist students, while they are training, to get started in the employment, and to progress successfully in their chosen fields.
•To assist parents in the handling of their children by given them the opportunities to talk over their problems with those who know and are successful in their chosen vocations.
• To afford the less fortunate youths a respite from the drudgery of the streets, through sponsored trips to ball games, zoological garden, museums, theater, and other activities.
• To inform youth of the values of higher education, assistance available for continued pursuits, scholarship, loans, professional opportunities, and of current labor demands and the trends on the effect of these demands and trends on the labor market.
Kappa League Structure:
The nucleus and primary focus of the Kappa League revolves around the "Five Phases" :
1. Self-Identity: Discipline, Assurance, Awareness, and Appearance
2. Training: Academic, Career-Choice, Preparation, and Organization
3. Competition: Politics, Career Advancement, and Sports
4. Social: Religion, The Arts, Entertainment, Conversation/Communication, and Etiquette/Manners
5. Health Education: Physical Fitness, Sex Education, Drug Education, and Health and Safety.
DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH
College Preparation and Access Program
"A Diamond in the Rough-The ability to see the potential of greatness and exceptional qualities in the unexpected."
DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH program is Kappa Alpha Psi’s national campaign to promote the academic, social and service based Achievements of young men of color. It is an aggressive counter to the negative stereotypical images that have generalized and stigmatized young males for decades and provides a strong argument that throughout this country exists thousands of young men of color that are achieving in Every Field of Human Endeavor.
The DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH campaign, will expose young men across the nation to an intense college preparatory and scholarship access program. Through innovation and old fashion hard work, the DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH campaign will carry out its mission by leveraging participants’ talents , remediating their deficiencies and provide greater access to potential financial support in order to make obtaining a college degree a reality.
The Three Goals of DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH
1.To implement a rigorous college preparation program focused on increasing the post secondary opportunities for Kappa Leaguers
2.To provide greater ACT/ SAT test preparation resources to improve the testing outcomes of Kappa Leaguers
3.To provide educational scholarships for each graduating class of Kappa Leaguers and to increase the access to scholarship opportunities for Kappa Leaguers nationally.
Guide Right is the national service program of KAΨ. It was conceived in 1922 by Leon W. Stewart. Guide Right provides the educational and occupational guidance of youth.
The purposes of the Guide Right Service Program are to place the training, experience, and friendly interest of successful men, at the disposal of youth needing inspiration and counsel regarding their choice of a life's career, while the community is made aware of the problems that may be encountered as these youth seek to realize lives of usefulness
Guide Right encompasses many of our youth oriented programs such as mentoring, college preparatory programs, and tutoring. However, the Flagship Initiative of the Guide Right Service Program is the Kappa Leadership Development League.
For more information
Use our contact form or any of the options below.
LOCATION: Kappa Kastle | 1846 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles 90019